Skip To Main Content

Select a School

Legal and Housing

Our school is committed to supporting all families. Our school social workers contribute to safe and welcoming learning environments for all students by providing direct services to students and families. They also develop systems within the school that further the social, emotional and academic growth of students.

All students enrolled in Minneapolis Public Schools are eligible to receive social work services. Students served are experiencing social, emotional, mental health, behavioral, attendance, or adjustment concerns, as well as socio-economic challenges that impact their learning. In addition, all students birth to age 21 who are identified as students needing special education are eligible for social work services.

School social workers join or team with parents and collaborate with other school staff. As members of the educational team, school social workers promote and support students’ academic and social success by providing specialized services and supports that may include student needs assessment, individual, group, and classroom skills work, crisis intervention, advocacy, connection to community resources, etc.

If you believe your student could benefit from social work services at school, please contact your School Social Worker(s).


Legal and Housing


If you are experiencing housing instability, there are supports available to promote school stability and academic success for students. If you are living in temporary or unstable housing, please let your school social worker know. To get connected with your school social worker, call the main office at your school. Eligible students are protected under the McKinney-Vento Act and have the right to:

?        Stay in the same school.

?        Automatically qualify for free school meals.

?        Immediately enroll in school without education records, immunization records, or proof of residency.

?        Participate fully in school activities.

?        Get school transportation, even across district lines.

?        Receive other educational services.

Learn more at


If you are at risk of losing your home, there are extra protections and financial assistance available:

Hennepin County Emergency Housing Assistance

Hennepin County is offering emergency rent and mortgage assistance for low-income households who have lost income due to COVID-19. If you've fallen behind on rent or utilities or are worried about making payments on time this month, apply now for Hennepin County rental assistance.

Rent is still due during the statewide moratorium on evictions as part of Governor Walz's emergency declaration. Take advantage of assistance to make sure unpaid rent doesn't add up. You may be at risk of eviction if you are behind on payments when the state of emergency ends.

Apply as soon as possible to ensure you receive adequate support in time.

Learn more and apply at


Legal and Housing

Tenant Resource Center

2100 Plymouth Ave

Monday and Wednesday from 9:00 am - 3:00 pm and

Tuesday and Thursday from 3:00 pm - 7:00 pm for the months of January and February 2020 


Central Minnesota Legal Services

430 First Avenue North, Suite 359

(612) 334-5970

(612) 332-8151

·         Family

·         Housing

·         Consumer 


Domestic Abuse Project

(612) 874-7063

·         Therapy

·         Advocay

·         Case Management 


Northpoint Advocacy Office

1315 Penn Avenue North

612.529.7477 (collect calls accepted)

·         Domestic violence

·         Family law

·         Sexual assault



Mid-Minnesota Legal Aid

430 1st Avenue North #300

Intake: 612-334-5970

Office: 612-332-1441

Legal assistance for individuals with housing related problems (eviction, sub-standard housing, need for repairs, rent increases, landlord abuses, loss of public housing matters, etc.)